#1. Downloading Git Windows 10 client software
Gitbash is a free software, that can be downloaded as follows,
- Go to the official download URL https://git-scm.com/downloads
- Click on the link for Windows (Download for Windows)
- Wait for the download to complete.
At this point, you have the required software client for Git installation for your Windows 10 laptop or desktop.
#2. Run the installer, follow the below sequence
- Double click the downloaded exe file to start the installer (example file name: Git-X.xx.xx-64-bit.exe).
- If Windows is prompting with “User Access Control“, for confirmation to proceed, select Yes.
- Next leaf, keep all default values as it is, and click Next.
- Under Select components leaf, go through the checklist and modify according to your preferences.
- Keep the selections as it is, if you are unsure of any options.
- Leaf, Choosing the SSH executable, keep bundled OpenSSH. This will get you the SSH capability from Gitbash.
- Leaf, configuring experimental option, keep those defaults.
- Click Next to continue with the installation.
- Click on Finish when prompted, to complete the installation.
#3. Cloning a a repository, git getting started
- At this point, you should have Git (gitbash) installed. Lets explore, how to clone a repository.
- From your Windows 10 Desktop, Rightclick and click Git Bash Here.
- You should get a git bash window, similar to the below.
[email protected] MINGW64 ~/Desktop $
- To clone a git repository using gitbash command line,
git clone https://github.com/githubtraining/hellogitworld.git
With this guide, you have successfully installed git bash on Windows 10 (64-bit version), and cloned a sample repository!
You may explore further git commands!