Downloading Git Windows 10 client software
Gitbash is free software, that can be downloaded as follows,
- Go to the official download URL https://git-scm.com/downloads
- Click on the link for Windows (Download for Windows)
- Wait for the download to complete.
At this point, you have the required software client for Git installation for your Windows 10 laptop or desktop.
Run the installer, follow the below sequence
- Double click the downloaded exe file to start the installer (example file name: Git-X.xx.xx-64-bit.exe).
- If Windows is prompting with “User Access Control“, for confirmation to proceed, select Yes.
- Next leaf, keep all default values as it is, and click Next.
- Under Select components leaf, go through the checklist and modify according to your preferences.
- Keep the selections as it is, if you are unsure of any options.
- Leaf, Choosing the SSH executable, keep bundled OpenSSH. This will get you the SSH capability from Gitbash.
- Leaf, configuring experimental option, keep those defaults.
- Click Next to continue with the installation.
- Click on Finish when prompted, to complete the installation.
Cloning a a repository, git getting started
- At this point, you should have Git (gitbash) installed. Lets explore, how to clone a repository.
- From your Windows 10 Desktop, Rightclick and click Git Bash Here.
- You should get a git bash window, similar to the below.
[email protected] MINGW64 ~/Desktop $
- To clone a git repository using gitbash command line,
git clone https://github.com/githubtraining/hellogitworld.git
With this guide, you have successfully installed git bash on Windows 10 (64-bit version), and cloned a sample repository!
You may explore further git commands!